On the morning of Saturday, October 29, hundreds of people poured into the American Philatelic Research Library for a ribbon-cutting ceremony to officially open the new library space.
APRL Administrator Scott English introduced APRL President Roger Brody, APS President Mick Zais, local officials, including Representative Glenn “GT” Thompson, Centre County Commissioners Michael Pipe and Mark Higgins, Bellefonte Borough Council Vice President Randy Brachbill, followed by USPS Director of Stamp Services Mary-Anne Penner and former APS Executive Director Bob Lamb. The APRL and APS presidents cut the strip of postal labels to officially open the library. Watch the ceremony on YouTube.
The festivities began the day before with a dinner held at the American Philatelic Center featuring an address by David Beech, former curator of the British Library’s philatelic collection. Watch David’s address on YouTube.
The weekend also featured a book fair, tours of the library and the American Philatelic Center, and ample opportunities to socialize, use the library’s state of the art research facilities, shop, and take in displays, including a 5-frame exhibit on loan from the Spellman Museum of Stamps and Postal History.
The APS produced a cachet to commemorate the opening in a limited numbered printing of 100. Each cachet is autographed by the APRL president, administrator, and librarian, franked with a $2 Inverted Jenny stamp, and canceled with a Bellefonte pictorial cancel including the library’s logo. A limited number of these covers are available through the APS event souvenir shop.
Here are a couple of photographs from the event. Many more can be seen on the APS Facebook page by clicking on the photos tab.
The event was covered by the local and philatelic press:
- New Stamping Grounds (State College Magazine, Oct. 2016)
- World’s largest philatelic library prepares for grand opening in Bellefonte (WTAJ CBS Affiliate, Altoona, PA, Oct. 28, 2016)
- Stamp collector’s dream: New American Philatelic Research Library marks grand opening (Centre County Gazette, Oct. 27, 2016)
- American Philatelic Research Library officially open (Lock Haven Express, Nov. 3, 2016)
- American Philatelic Society celebrates library opening (Centre Daily Times, Nov. 3, 2016)
- The New APRLibrary (Virtual Stamp Club, Oct. 28, 2016)
- Doors open to new American Philatelic Research Library (Linn’s Stamp News, Nov. 4, 2016)
- Postmark honors American Philatelic Research Library’s long-awaited opening (Linn’s Stamp News, Oct. 20, 2016)
- APRL celebrates opening of new library (Linn’s Stamp News, Oct. 13, 2016)
- Monday Morning Brief: American Philatelic Research Library (Linn’s Stamp News, Nov. 7, 2016)